Putting high quality care first
Quality and safety of patient care must always come first and we are committed to making high quality, safe care our top priority. This is why the first of our five goals is make care safer.
We work with all providers of health and care services in the city to ensure that safe and high quality care is top of the agenda, whatever the setting. We support health and care providers, and also challenge them where appropriate, to ensure the very best services are being provided to the people of Southampton.
As part of our commitment to safe and high quality care we have a dedicated Quality Team, which includes experienced nurses. The team work jointly with Southampton City Council as part of our Integrated Commissioning Unit.
Quality and safety are represented on our Governing Body by our Chief Nurse and Director of Quality and Integration, Stephanie Ramsey, and our GP lead for quality, Dr Richard McDermott. A Quality Exception Report is presented to the Governing Body each month, which highlights any potential quality concerns and outlines the actions in place. These reports can be viewed as part of our Governing Body papers.
Some of the team’s successes during 2015/16 include:
- closer working with nursing homes in the city which has improved standards of care and availability of placements
- continued high levels of patient satisfaction with services at Southampton Treatment Centre
- working with the Looked After Children Health Team, who the Care Quality Commission noted as providing a “gold star service” to Southampton children and young people
- further development of robust monitoring processes of serious incidents, which has been recognised as good practice and used as an example for other CCGs
- 10% target reduction in pressure ulcers achieved and the Southampton pressure ulcer strategy adopted for use across Wessex
- continued improvement of infection prevention and control within nursing homes.
Share your experiences
We are committed to ensuring that NHS services in Southampton are as good as they can be.
We welcome your comments, concerns, compliments or complaints about any of the services we purchase on your behalf. Please tell us how we can do things better, or that we’re doing something well, by getting in touch with our Patient Experience Service.