Many minor eye conditions can be treated at home, with advice from your local pharmacist. Factsheets for treating some of the most common eye conditions are available below:
- Conjunctivitis - a pharmacist can also provide advice on conjunctivitis
- Corneal abrasion
- Dry eye
- Red eyelid lump (chalazion)
- Subconjunctival haemorrhage (or a burst blood vessel)
What is an eye emergency?
We also have an eye casualty department here in the city at Southampton General Hospital. The unit can help with a range of situations where emergency treatment is needed for the eyes. Eye emergencies can include:
- chemical injury
- sudden loss of vision within the last four to six hours
- sudden onset of painful red eye
- injury to the eye
If you are not sure if your eye condition is an emergency call the eye casualty department team on 023 8120 6592 for advice or for an appointment.